About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Bare-faced lies

Facebook is a strange place, isn't it? A lot of my more self-disciplined and intellectual friends have sworn of it completely, preferring to hang out at Twitter and be the smart-mouthed kids at the back of the classroom. I'd like to be able to do that, but - it's time to be honest - I kind of love Facebook. As a natural introvert with very little desire to actually put myself in a social situation, it enables me to follow the minutiae of my friends' lives without - you know - actually having to speak to them.

Anyway, over the last couple of days, a viral meme cropped up everywhere, with ladies posting photos of themselves going "bare faced" (i.e. no make-up) for "cancer" or "breast cancer".

Obligatory paragraph here about how for fuck's sake people, posting a photo or changing your status "for cancer" does absolutely fuck all "for cancer". Some of the brighter sparks gave a link to donate or instructions on how to check yourself for breast cancer, which is undeniably a good thing. But the main point, apparently, was to "raise awareness". Quick survey folks - anyone reading this who hadn't heard of cancer before this Facebook meme? Nope? OK, so everyone had heard of cancer. But how many of you knew it was a bad thing? Oh? Everyone again? Looks like we didn't need to raise that awareness after all. As it happened, this particular meme wasn't an orchestrated campaign by any cancer charity. Like many viral trends it was mostly people jumping on the bandwagon and nominating each other.

Which brings me onto my second point - "going bare faced" was done as a dare - are you brave enough to show the world what you look like without make-up? What the actual fuck? Are we as women so utterly revolting in our natural state that we require sponsorship and/or congratulations for daring to show our (chemical-free) face in public?

I had a debate with a friend once about whether or not make-up was anti-feminist. I don't have a coherent view on this, it has to be said. On one hand, I firmly believe it's up to every woman to decide how she wants to look. On the other hand, I question my own actions: despite literally never wearing make-up round the house, unfortunately, I wouldn't dream of going to a job interview without some subtle make-up. Not because I feel I need to hide, or even "to present my best self" but because I know - I know - that this would be so against the norm, and that interviewers don't want weirdos. Asking ourselves why we wear make-up, what our personal motives are, is perhaps an important debate to have.

And I think, "I look scary without it" is a really sad answer. And it's what society is telling us; women without make-up are wrong, unfeminine - ironically - unnatural.

So by all means, post photos of yourself without make-up on. But don't expect any congratulations from me. That's just your face.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My friend Lizzie said "why not post a selfie as soon as you wake up and donate to the RSPCA because who doesn't look like a dog in the mornings"