About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Veiled enthusiasm

Number 3: The conversations

Returning to my "things I hate about planning a wedding" series. At number 3 we have the conversations. Without fail, everyone seems to think that having a wedding should be the most life-defining point, and therefore, you should think of very little else.

Browsing idly in a wedding dress shop the other day, the shop assistant came over to me and started talking - unprompted, I hasten to add - about tiaras. "Yeah, tiaras are really going out of fashion these days. People are asking for like clusters of jewels on the side... you know like Cheryl Cole had?"

Truthfully I replied, "No."

"Well, you know on The X Factor?"

Truthfully I replied, "No."

"Well, you know in the bridal magazines?"

Once again, I was truthful, "No."

But at this point, I began to feel pressured. Why don't I have opinions on these things? So, I parted with four English pounds and ninety English pennies and bought a magazine with pictures of seemingly identical dresses and utterly ridiculous articles.

Here is a genuine top tip from the magazine: "Planning a wedding tends to consume all your spare time, so it's important to try and do one thing for yourself each day that has nothing to do with the wedding - paint your nails, read a magazine, make a dentist appointment or just go for a walk..."

Erm... ONE thing each day? So whilst I'm sitting on the loo taking a dump, I should be thinking about table plans? And how is making a dentist appointment something I should relish doing instead of wedding planning? And really? ALL my spare time? Seriously? What the buggery bollocks are you going to do after the wedding if you've dropped all of your friends and hobbies in the months leading up to your dull, dull party?

Don't understand it. Do not understand it. But I am bizarrely interested to see what Cheryl Cole's tiara substitute looked like.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I now realise that when she mentioned X Factor and asked if we had seen it and I said 'Yes!' that I thought she meant 'the X Files'
I don't know what the X Factor is other than it is on TV

Laura said...

Anonymous, either you are my mother, or else I have a really odd stalker...

... who has the same pop culture retard gene as me.

L x

Anonymous said...

You guys have knowledge of have hallatosis breath because of old rotten teeth? I'm sure you do that's why a lot of you are always working trying to attract money. lol looking for drugs and finances because you need veneers. anyway, i'm not selling anything or anything but i do want to encourage everyone to look up veneers. google it or find it somewher or ask your dentist. it is the freaking best thing the world.

all that tasty and delicious candy that those wonderful people at mars gave you turned on you and got your whole family running around looking like the wicked witches and wizards of the west.

You go to the denstist and get a cleaning but what the hell is that going to do? You've got caved in teeth, appalachan mountain teeth, rocky mountain teeth, and general crackhead related teeth.

It's rough on you I know but it's true. I used to be the same way. I did happen to spend a couple g's on some veneers in atlanta ga (google it if you're not from the US). Now I do bust out a big smile on every occasion i meet a face, in abstract to the past where it's hide the smile! But anyway some of you might definitely need to undergo such a process.

Another important factor is, it's a great way to continue the medical industry and make sure we have motivated dentists to come up with new innovative ways to fix our teeth. veneers is a big step over gold and silver teeth replacements which are gaudy and look crazy.

[url="http://www.delicious.com/veneers_atlanta_georgia"]atlanta porcelain veneers[/url]