About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Measured response

Ploggers, Ploggers, apologies for tardiness.  I have no real excuse, other than being at work during the day, being tired at night and being a pensioner at weekends (B&Q, gardening and a spot of baking).

However, there are always moments which I can stop and laugh.  Here is a transcript of a genuine telephone conversation with Mrs Nunn last week:

Me: So TheBloke (TM) and I are going to look at sofas tonight after work, but I totally forgot until I got into the office and I didn't bring a tape measure, and because we have narrow doors, I'm worried something we order might not fit through.

Mrs Nunn:  Oh.  Don't you have a tape measure in your desk drawer?

Me:  No.

Mrs Nunn:  Ask your colleagues.  I'm sure someone will have a tape measure.

Me:  I doubt it.  I can't think why they would.

Mrs Nunn:  Oh, I bet they will.  I always used to have a tape measure in my desk drawer.

Me:  Why?

Mrs Nunn: In case of... clothes and stuff.

Me:  Sorry, what?

Mrs Nunn: (clearly avoiding the fact that you would never need to measure clothes) Well, you know, in case you need to measure your head or something.

Me: What?

Mrs Nunn: You know!  When you're at work and you need to measure your head.

At which point I wondered whether I was actually hallucinating, so I made my excuses and said goodbye.

Just in case I ever go mental, at least we know it's genetic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura

In your Mum's defence, I had a tape measure in my desk drawer. I believe I also did a similar job to Mrs Nunn. It was vital in our job for measuring heads. I am of course referring to measuring student heads for their graduation hats. Only reliable lecturers would have a tape measure in the drawer for this type of emergency. Love the plog - congratulations on the wedding. Hazel's Mum