About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Pro-nunn-ciation

Well, Mr and Mrs Nunn have been to stay, and were reasonable well behaved. For once. However, Mrs Nunn has a unique way of speaking. And if you wish to speak Mrs Nunn-ese, then please find below a Mrs Nunn dictionary and pronunciation guide:

Bedroom = bear-drum
Buffet = boofay
Chihuahua = shi-wow-wow
Obama - oh-bam-ah
Posthumously - pos-thumb-osly
Rabid = ray-bid
Repeat (as in a TV repeat) = Ree-peat

There are more which escape my mind currently but I will add them as they occur to me.

So a sentence from Mrs Nunn might sound, "Someone call Oh-bam-ah! There's a ray-bid shi-wow-wow in the bear-drum eating the boofay! And the CD player is stuck on ree-peat. At this rate I'll be hearing it pos-thumb-osly!"

Of course, this would depend on several things:

- Mrs Nunn knowing Obama's phone number
- Having a buffet set up in the bedroom
- A rabid dog somehow making it to the UK and somehow getting to Loughborough, and into my parents' bedroom
- Mrs Nunn even attempting to operate the CD player.

And the least likely of all of those? The idea that she could operate the CD player. The others all sound par for the course in the Nunn household.

1 comment:

MJenks said...

I knew an Indian guy who called it the "boo-fay". Except, he didn't grow up in India, and he lived outside of Chicago.

Maybe he knows your mom. Has she ever been to Chicago?