About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Most moist

You could knock me down with a feather. I would really rather you didn't though. Seriously. Apart from anything else, it's quite an undignified way to fall over. "How did you fall over, Laura?"

"Some cunt knocked me down with a feather."

I digress. Yesterday, in honour of TheBloke (TM)'s birthday (happy birthday, TheBloke (TM)!), I made Esme's Secret Recipe Chocolate Orange Drizzle Cake. Esme is my grandma and makes the best cakes... anywhere. She's also (in true Nunn tradition) an old slapper. Luckily she doesn't read my Plog so I can get away with it.

Anyway, I Tweeted about Esme's Secret Recipe Chocolate Orange Drizzle Cake and I was overwhelmed with recipe requests.

Never one to disappoint my Ploggers, I requested permission to publish from Esme herself, and here - in full - is the secret recipe. One condition. Let me know when you've made it - I promise it's the best, most moist cake I've ever eaten. All measurements are in old money. And I'm not going to spell out how you mix a cake. You read my Plog so you must be clever. You can work it out.


Cake

Greased 2lb loaf tin

6 oz caster sugar

6 oz butter or marge

3 eggs

6 oz self-raising flour

Grated rind of 2 oranges

2 tablespoons of cold milk

Cook for 1 hour on gas mark 4 and turn out onto cooling rack.



Drizzle

2 oz caster sugar

Juice of 2 oranges

When cake is still a little warm, make small cuts on top then drizzle orange over the top. Stand on a plate so cake can soak up excess drizzle.


Chocolate topping

4 oz block of plain chocolate

½ oz butter

Bain marie or microwave on low heat and mix. Use palette knife to cover top and sides of cake.


Enjoy - and tell me what you think!

6 comments:

Jack Nunn said...

One tip you left out that Esme mentions is that the eggs should be room temperature - quite important to bind the mixture right....

Thomas Faust said...

Laura, you forgot to take the rind off of the two oranges. Anyone can see that!

Furthermore your plate resembles a boss eyed man with a moustache, which I fancy flaps wildly when he speaks.

Helen said...

I'm not sure Mrs F would have given you presentation marks based on your photo.... ;-)

Jo said...

There's quite a lot of orange garnishing going on in that photo.
Do you think if we sent photos of everything we ever cook to Mrs F she'd send back marks out of 10 each time? I miss having my cooking marked out of 10. (on presentation, of course, nothing to do with taste).

Laura said...

I haven't forgiven Mrs F for the time she was doing a costume fitting for the school play. I had a choir rehearsal to get to but she kept sticking pins in me whilst making me wear a monk's hassock. And made me 20 mins late.

To be fair, I don't think she's forgiven me for the time I told her that textiles was a waste of time. And when she said to me, "Well Laura, what are you going to do when your husband needs a button sewing on?" and I replied, "Mrs F, I'm not going to marry a man."

L x

Anonymous said...

Email Marketing
very handy, thanx a lot for this blog ....... This wss what I was looking for.