About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Do bananas have DNA? This is a question that kept Nice Kate and me occupied for - well - minutes on Sunday. She maintained they did, and what is more, had less than 1% difference to human DNA.

I argued this could not possibly be true. Bananas can't have DNA - surely? Unless, of course, she was referring to Bananas in Pyjamas. As they were able to walk down a flight of steps, one might imagine that they had some sort of DNA that enabled them at the very least to emulate some aspects of human behaviour.

As we all know from the kids' tv programme,

Bananas in Pyjamas are coming down the stairs.
Bananas in Pyjamas are coming down in pairs.
Bananas in Pyjamas are chasing teddy bears.
Bananas in Pyjamas will catch you unawares.

To be honest, you kind of wonder how they pitched this at the storyboarding meeting.

Pitcher: So there's these bananas, right? And they wear - get this - pyjamas.

Pitchee: Oh, I like it. Edgy.

Pitcher: That's not all, right. These night-clothed bananas, they're upstairs, right? But they want to - hang on - come down the stairs.

Pitchee: I see their challenge and understand where they're coming from. But I'm worried that these bananas are going to get lonely. Could they come down together?

Pitcher: Sure, sure, anything you want. The point is, they're trying to catch teddy bears. By stealth!

Pitchee: It's got relationships, it's got tension, it's got the thrill of the chase, it's got fruit wearing inappropriate clothing - it's a hit! Hmm - what do we do for episode 2. The teddy bears are going to catch on, surely?

Pitcher: Sign here.

I think I might need more sleep.

I had the loveliest of weekends with Nice Kate. Glasgow is really, really nice. If you haven't been there before, go now. Take my car. If you can remember where I parked it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am I alone in not knowing what the f*** this rhyme about bananas is? Must be generational?

Funny though!

RSN

Anonymous said...

Wasn't it strange that the one picture in the art gallery I wanted to show you had GONE MISSING? And the one cool thing worth looking at in the museum had also GONE MISSING. And since you left I'm 3 forks and a pillow short.

Please don't come to Glasgow again.

Nice Kate x

Anonymous said...

Of COURSE bananas have DNA. How else would they know to grow into bananas and not something else? Huh? Huh?

Anonymous said...

LAURA!!!!

I must correct you. (Doesn't happen often).

Last line of Bananas in Pajamas is
"Cos on Tuesdays they all like to catch them unawares".

I refer you and your un-informed dad(?) to http://bananaspajamas.tripod.com/

Turn on your speakers.

xxxx

AH NZ Adventure said...

Hee hee hee - I do hope I'm right as it would be lovely to correct Laura's grammar.... Are you sure all your apostrophes are correct? The first time the pitcher speaks... Have a close look!

Laura said...

Oh Hazel, Hazel, Hazel. Never challenge me on grammar. There are no apostrophe mistakes that I can see. Technically, it should be "There are these bananas", but "There's these bananas" captures the colloquial lilt of the pitcher.

Of course, later on, I do use a hyphen instead of an en dash, but that's because the HTML doesn't cope with advanced formatting. And in case you were wondering, the en dash is slightly longer than the hyphen but not as long as the em dash.

Don't question me, Ms Stone.

L xx

AH NZ Adventure said...

It's MISS Stone thank you very much and I'm still going to push you on this one....
"There are these bananas"
Shouldn't it be
"There're these bananas?
NOT "There's these bananas"
You've said "there is these", needs to be "there are these". Wrong in SO many ways?!?

Laura said...

So what you're really querying is my use of the singular, rather than the plural. ("There is" vs "There are".) It's not an apostrophe problem.

And I believe I have tackled this issue already by commenting that the pitcher is pitching, using wide-boy speak. He gets his grammar a bit pear-shaped. But his apostrophes are fine.

By the way, have you ever seen "there're" written ANYWHERE? No. Go and think on that.

Leave the grammar to me. You can do that tricky numbers thing.

L x