About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Hair raid shelter

"Suppose you're used to it though. When it's not July 7, it's the RAF, innit?"

"Hmm, sorry?" I said. I was at the hairdresser's in Loughborough. A few minutes ago we'd been talking about the threat of terrorism - suddenly we appeared to be blaming the Royal Air Force.

"You know, the RAF?"

"Erm, yes. But I'm not sure..."

"Them Irish ones. Bombed that Parrot Point."

"Erm..."

"What was it called? Mags! Mags! What wor tha' building thut the RAF bombed? Parrot summit."

"Canary Wharf, Steph. The IRA, not the RAF. Have you got one of them hairpieces you can purrin fur meh tonight? Daz is commin' over - he's been dead mardy wi'mi recent like."

East Midlands. Yeh gorrah love it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And you let her loose on your hair? Aaah - now I understand!

(Just joking - think the Parrot Look may well catch on. Do they just run a bar-code scanner over the finished hair to work out how much to charge?!! --ooh vicious!)

RSN

Anonymous said...

Heard in Coalville Morrisons:

"We didn't do much over Easter, the kids got that new King Kong dvd, but I didn't watch it.

If you've seen one King Kong you've seen them all.

Not that I've seen any, mind you."

Anonymous said...

It's good to know that it's not just the Derby area of the east Midlands that fosters stupidity... or should that be terrifying...

Laura said...

Loved the King Kong story. I miss Coalville. Obviously, that's not true, but I miss making it the butt of every joke. And I miss the man with a really fat head who sat in the town square all day.

I am intending to dedicate a future Plog entry entirely to Coalville.

Anonymous said...

Useless fact of the day - I have just been informed by a more knowledgeable friend that there was a terrorsist group called the RAF, Germany's Red Army Faction.

So she might not have been being completely stupid after all...