About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Jane Austenova

I was on the tube earlier today, coming from Chancery Lane to Liverpool Street. The man next to me was reading Mansfield Park in Russian (by the famous Jane Austenova - obviously). I had this misfortune of studying this novel at A-level. Whilst parts of Jane Austen I love dearly (OK, mostly Colin Firth in a wet shirt), it has to be said that Mansfield Park is the biggest load of drivel in the English language. With the possible exception of almost everything written by William Blake, but that's another story.

Anyway, basic plot of said novel - very boring heroine called Fanny who doesn't do much, and after much hand-wringing and inaction, eventually marries her cousin. Really not worth translating into Russian.

However, the novel does have one redeeming feature. Chapter 19 reads:

"Sir Thomas was at that moment looking round him, and saying, “But where is Fanny? Why do not I see my little Fanny?”—and on perceiving her, came forward with a kindness which astonished and penetrated her, calling her his dear Fanny, kissing her affectionately, and observing with decided pleasure how much she was grown!"

Wrong on so many levels. Sadly, that's probably lost on the Russians.

No comments: