About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Slip up

As a child, falling snow was of huge excitement. I'm not entirely sure why, but seeing it flurrying down would send the entire class (and often the teacher) to the window with the cry, "Snow!". The next question would it be whether or not it was settling. Only once in my memory was the snow bad enough to close the school for the day, yet still, there was something in the whiteness, the transformation of the familiar into the unknown that was thrilling to us as children.

And if I'm honest, much of that feeling remains into adulthood. Singing away with my choir doing Christmas carols whilst snow fell behind us, I did get that gleeful feeling when it's nearly the school holidays. And of course, as an adult, I'm fully aware that snow brings problems - travel issues, slipping issues, and it's more expensive to run the central heating. But it's still quite exciting.

Even prevented from going into the office one day a few weeks ago, whilst I was able to work from home just as (if not more) effectively, it was still exciting and a bit of an adventure. Each time a fresh snowfall fell, in spite of myself, I grinned and thought, "Snow!"

And now? Three weeks later? I'm genuinely bored of it. I'm fairly sure we've never had snow on the ground this long in my entire lifetime. I am sick of nearly falling over on my way to work each morning. I am bored of coming home every night thinking, "This is the coldest I have EVER been". I am especially irritated that it's dragging on so long it looks like it might threaten my weekend plans to drive to Bristol.

And TheBloke (TM)? He is planning an entire snow family. Snow woman, snow children... I told him we hadn't really discussed this, and it was a big decision to make. He said he was willing to give up his job to be the carer.

I'll be the one standing in the garden with a hairdryer on full blast.

3 comments:

Sara said...

It sounds like England is getting the same weather as I've become used to in Pennsylvania! So strange! I always tell my friends here that it barely snows in the UK. Guess that's not so true anymore.

Anonymous said...

Bored of ?

Anonymous said...

Laura - you don't need a hairdryer, just make Gordon wear gloves when he is playing in the snow! hee hee