About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Friday, October 29, 2010

Cost of living

I remember my first ever car - the K-reg Vauxhall Astra that lasted me the best part of a decade.  That's not to say that things didn't go wrong with it.  In fact - from memory, here are some of the expenses:

1998 - new immobiliser needed (because as we all know, the car thief's vehicle of choice is a K-reg Astra) £100
1998 - new spark plugs £50
1999 - new distributor cap £50
1999 - new rear windscreen wiper £40
2000 - new battery £100
2001 - new battery £100
2002 - new battery (not driving it much during the uni years wasn't great for it) £100
2003 - cam belt went at 85mph on the motorway (I mean 70 mph, officer) £400
2004 - new battery - £100
2005 - new radio - £50
2005 - cam belt went again £300

It finally retired in 2006, and I like to think went to a loving home where little girls fed it sugar lumps and polo mints.

The purpose of this, is there becomes a point when its existence becomes uneconomical.  But you're still anxious to get your money's worth, so, having spent £350 on it in 2005, it's even more galling to lay it to rest in 2006.

But essentially, it was becoming more expensive to run than a new car would cost. 

I think I may have reached that stage.  Not with my car; the Mini and me are still getting on very well indeed.  I mean me personally.  Between hair dressing appointments, new clothes, the costs of getting to and from work, house repairs, eyebrow waxes, mobile bills, mortgage, house repairs, TV subscriptions, income tax and national insurance, I've decided I'd be better off if I just paid some grease monkey from the garage £20 to take me away.

I wonder if I'm recyclable.

2 comments:

AH NZ Adventure said...

Jut register yourself 'off road' for a couple of months :)

Anonymous said...

Good idea
Get Gordon to do your eyebrows?