About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tigris dormiens nunquam titilandus

As you may remember, here, and, because they didn't learn their lesson, also here, Petals Florist in Port Elizabeth provided us with possibly the worst wedding flowers in the world.  Ever.

I shan't rehash the entire story, but complaints were made, promises of refunds were issued... and then all responsibility denied, with the previous owner blaming the new owner and vice versa.  After charging us more than the original quotation, the R 850 we paid for a bouquet of lilies and some buttonholes (approx £90) which were wilted and drawn on in biro, we haven't received a refund to date.

Therefore, I told the owner of Petals Florist that I would be writing a review online, and that it would remain up until the refund was provided.  So far, so consistent.

Hilariously, Petals and their friends decided they were going to do some damage limitation by using my comments box to talk about how wonderful the florist actually was.  (My favourite said something like, "What an angry lady you are.  I think you should let this go."  What incredibly good advice.  From Petals Florist themselves.)  Like we couldn't see their comments coming a mile off.  I have deleted most of them. The latest one says:

"I live overseas and was recommended Petals Florist by a relative who lives in PE. I sent my mum flowers for Mother's Day and by all accounts they were lovely. I plan to send her flowers for her birthday through Petals. I challenge you to actually leave this post up instead of deleting it!"


This is brilliant for two reasons:


  • Who would search for Petals Florist unless they were a potential new customer, or a "friend" coming to their defence?  It's massively unlikely that an existing customer would stumble across my review and feel moved to spring to the defence of a florist shop.  And a not very good, in fact, pretty shit florist shop at that.
  • The commenter seems to be under the illusion that I am providing a lovely forum to give a "fair" view of the overall service Petals Florist in Port Elizabeth provides.  Of course this is ridiculous - this isn't my aim at all.  Why would I care if people have had a positive experience?  My aim is to showcase, and hopefully to shame, Port Elizabeth's worst florist, Petals and show how they did their very best to provide really fuck-wank awful flowers for my wedding - and then deny responsibility.

    Also, please note the poster uses the incorrect (pet hate) "Mother's Day" rather than my preferred "Mothers' Day" (please see Fathers' Day post).  This is irrelevant, but worth pointing out, nonetheless.

    So - anonymous overseas poster, your post will be deleted (though will remain in perpetuity on this post, where it is ridiculed).  

    Interestingly, I've also just registered the blogsite address: www.petalsfloristportelizabethreview.blogspot.com and may use this in the future if I need to.

    And for the cost of a refund for the rubbish flowers, all this could go away...

    When TheBloke (TM)'s mum heard about this, she was astonished at Petals' response and poor customer service.  Knowing my tenacity, she said, "Why would they poke the tiger?"  I am taking this as a compliment as I know she likes cats.

    The tiger has been poked. 

    No comments: