About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Blast from the past

Ploggers, it may shock you to know that the Plog is not my first foray into the written word. I've kept a diary regularly from the age of 12 up to the present day, which makes for hilariously excellent reading from time to time... but most of the time is quite dull and generally full of worries about French tests and still not understanding the subjunctive. A bit swotty and dull.

But Ploggers, home with Mr and Mrs Nunn this weekend, I came across a treasure chest. My diary from when I was ten years old. In fact, two diaries from this period. The first is the Judy Blume Diary and the second is the Judy Blume Memory Book. The latter is a series of questionnaires you're supposed to fill in to build up a picture of your life.

Ploggers, it is by far the funniest thing I have read all weekend. I have some choice excerpts for you and - depending on demand and how lazy I'm feeling - there may be more at a later date. For now:

19th March 1990

Most awful day in school ever. Nobody knows about this but I had to write out 20 times, "I must remember to do my homework." I had to do it through breaktime.. I finished before the end of break and Miss Schenk said, "Now get on with something you want to do." I felt like saying I wanted to blow her up with a bomb!


13 April 1990

Today I came back from my friend Abi's. She gave me a Kylie Minogue tape. It is brill!


17 April 1990

I am 10 and a half exactly today. I came back from Grandma's today. I was really worried about the rabbit because we went away for 3 1/2 days. Luckily my friend Jennie looked after him and managed okay. I had five Easter eggs. My brother Jack had six. He would have had two more than me because he got one from his childminder AND his playgroup leader as well but on Mothers' Day, me and Jennie gave the old lady down the road a posy, so I got an Easter egg from them and Jack didn't. Jack keeps using my video tapes to record Sesame Street on.


** I think the next one is my absolute favourite **

16 May 1990

In 25 minutes I will be going to my piano exam Grade II. I am really really really nervous. Penny is taking me and bringing me back. I have had the day off school for practice. I also have diarrhoea.


1 comment:

Jack Nunn said...

Well, with you at ten and a half, I'd have been four and a half and I was still more popular than you. Plus, I'm pretty sure I couldn't work a video recorder until I was about five and three quarters.