About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Friday, March 05, 2010

Fan-tastic

Ploggers, dear Ploggers. I know you have previously put up with my musings on Facebook, specifically status updates (see here: http://laurasplog.blogspot.com/2010/01/de-friended.html) but with some time on my hands this week, I've probably been spending more time on the site than I should have.

And I have noticed something new - the Facebook "groups" people join and the things they "become a fan of". As no stranger to (or critique of) fans with a genuine shared passion in something, I can totally understand groups dedicated to TV shows, music, celebrities even - I get it. And as for groups, well, I'm a happy member of the Facebook group which exists entirely to compare my high school headmistress with Andrew Lloyd Webber: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2265646064&ref=ts It's funny. Seems pointless to start with, but really it's a forum for people with a shared experience of the school to catalogue their memories. (i.e. bitch about teachers.)

I have no problem with any of this. However (there's always a "however" with me, isn't there), in my week off work here are some of the genuine Facebook groups that friends, relatives, casual acquaintances have joined:

  • I want to go on the rollercoaster on the Barclays advert!!!!!
  • Ever looked at your ex now and thought what the FUCK was I thinking?
  • I hate it when the snow turns to ice!!! (multiple exclamation marks seem a regular feature)
  • Keep all the Pontins staff the way they are now!!!!!!!
  • Join if you've seen SNOW this week!!!!

And here are some things my friends have "become a fan of"

  • Listening to that certain song over and over again
  • Oh just stop breathing, you vile little slag
  • If its got TITS or WHEELS its TROUBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (again, good grammar not a priority. Unlike the capitalised tits)
  • I'm dying to talk to you but I'm not gonna text first
  • Bring back LUCKY CHARMS cereal to the UK
  • I love Christmas!!!

I apologise to anyone who may recognise their own group there, but seriously, seriously did you need to join people who love Christmas or have seen snow? Why would you want to associate with people who listen to the same song over and over again? It's almost certainly not going to be the same song as you listen to. The only thing you've got in common with these people is an obsessive-compulsive disorder and a nasty Facebook habit.

And the rollercoaster on the Barclays advert isn't real. It'll be CGI'd. It would be very, very prohibitively expensive to build it. Honest. I've worked in marketing so I know what I'm talking about. And I would also be more interested to know if there are people who LOVE it (with many exclamations) when snow turns to ice.

Fuckwits.

Oh, hang on a minute, why do I have no Facebook contacts left? Anyone want to become a fan of "Laura has no friends"?

No comments: