About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Sunday, June 20, 2010

The whole tooth

Overheard on a Central Line tube towards London. A girl in her early twenties, talking on her mobile. Please put on your best Geordie accent for full effect.

"Haway, man, I applied for a job as a trainee dental technician. And they got back to me dead quick like, in a couple of days, which was dead good because I've been applying for loads of stuff, and most of them never get back to me at all. So they asked me what my expectations of the role was."

There is a pause here whilst the person at the end of the line speaks.

"I know man. And I telled them like, I know it's not just like counting teeth and that because me mam used to be a dental technician, so I know what it involves and that. No, listen Mam," (it becomes apparent that she is speaking to her ex-dental technician mother.

"Mam, listen, Mam! Nooo. I just want to know. If it says 'trainee dental technician', will I be expected to pay for training?"

Her mother clearly reassures her on this point as she appears mollified.

"One more thing, Mam... I won't actually have to touch people's mouths will I? That's just too gross for me. I canna bring meself to do it."

I wish her well. And would advise she probably keeps that last point to herself in the interview. Though I have a sneaky suspicion it might become apparent over time.

No comments: