About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Sunday, July 04, 2010

Ring sting

So, the whole engagement thing has lent itself to some amusing stories already. This is the main reason I agreed to get married. Material for the Plog.

So... TheBloke (TM) and I decided to try and find a ring that I liked. I though this would be easy as I have No Opinion On Jewellery Whatsoever. Or so I thought. Let's just say I've spent more time in London jewellers than most London jewellers over the last month or so. Turns out I had quite a specific idea of what I wanted... and no-one seemed to manufacture it.

Anyway, there's one big jeweller in London who advertises themselves as having seven floors of diamonds, come to their London showrooms! I wouldn't be so mean as to name them (www.cooldiamonds.com), but I thought, "Seven floors! Well, they must have every type of diamond possible there!"

So TheBloke (TM) and I turned up. "Do you 'av an appointment?" the French attractive receptionist man asked.

"Erm, no. We kind of thought with your seven floors, we could just wander round a bit."

"Is no problem. Follow me." He then tried to use some smart fingerprint technology access to get to - presumably - where the diamonds were. But it didn't work. He intercommed Barry, who was less French and who let him in.

We ended up sitting in a scruffy office, with two French girls eating their lunch and talking in French, whilst the French man pulled up the webpage of diamonds (which of course we'd already seen, but assumed this was just a sample of all the stuff they had on their seven floors). Nothing really appealed, but to be polite, we mentioned a couple which were OK. We assumed we'd then be allowed to go upstairs to their seven floors.

"No!" said the French man. "I will now ask them to send down your ring." He went to his CCTV pictures and phoned Tom. Tom didn't answer. He then used his PC to instant message Tom. We were shown magic hydraulic tubes which were used for whizzing diamonds around the seven floors.

We waited for half an hour. The French man smiled. I told him we only had another fifteen minutes - would the rings (which we didn't even like all that much) be ready by then? He called Tom again. Tom didn't answer. Then Tom sent someone else's ring down.

At which point we gave up.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura

Just decide what you want, draw it and go to Hatton Garden and have it made to the budget you can afford. In 1972, we only had £50 to spend on an engagement ring but my then boyfriend sent a drawing of the ring I was looking for and said the budget is £50 and they came up with exactly what I wanted for £50.02 and 38 years later it is still sparkly and lovely and probably worth a lot more than £50!. Sincere congratulations on your engagement.

Hazel's Mum

PS Hatton Garden jewellers are all workshops and trays of rings - not glamorous, cut out the middle man and get a bargain.

Anonymous said...

Wait till you have to choose your wedding ring - even that's harder than it should be! I recommend you choose both at the same time. We chose a vintage engagement ring which is nice in theory but because of its shape doesn't actually fit with a wedding band. Lime Blue were really good though and have altered a plain band to fit with it - they are good staff and know their stuff too.

Nice Kate xx

Laura said...

Hello hello...

Yes, we did end up in Hatton Garden eventually... and TheBloke (TM) would have been very happy indeed if I'd found a ring for £50.02!

L x

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site laurasplog.blogspot.com
Is this possible?