About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Living in a box (room)

Each summer weekend I get at least one full day to myself. TheBloke (TM) toddles off to play cricket, and I, car-less and carefree, have a whole day of poddling to myself.

Except I tend not to poddle. Unwilling to take the tube on the two days' respite I get from it, and otherwise house-bound, I tend to do a whole load of chores (whilst simultaneously avoiding the chore that needs doing the most). For example, this weekend the little room needed clearing out. It's not a small task, but eminently achievable given an entire weekend. So far, I have put six items in a charity bag and giggled over my own genius in stand-up comedy material.

However, I have:

  • Done three loads of laundry
  • Done seven hours of gardening
  • Made poached haddock pate (nicer than it sounds)
  • Made roulades from smoked salmon
  • Written lots of emails
  • Finished my novel (reading someone else's novel, that is, not writing one, sadly.)
I like to think that actually, despite not yet achieving my goal for the weekend, I have at least made significant progress on some other chores that needed doing around the house, and managed to fit in a spot of relaxing too.

I'm off to New York for work in a couple of weeks, and will be gone for the best part of a fortnight. (Did you know Americans have no word for 'fortnight'? Weird. For the Americans, I will be in New York for almost two weeks.)

So, I asked TheBloke (TM) what he would do whilst I was gone. I was expecting him to say he'd finish off the decorating, or tidy the utility room, or maybe arrange for a tree surgeon to lop down the unwanted rowan tree...

No.

He's going to build a fort. "A really good one". He has forbidden me from throwing away any of the recently-accumulated cardboard boxes, or the old broken bed. There will be no girls allowed. Monty Cat will be allowed in because he is a boy.

TheBloke (TM) is thirty-five years old.

So there you go, Americans. Another definition of "fortnight" - building a fort on the nights your partner is away.

No comments: