About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Comedying on my arse

Ploggers, it has been a while since I trod the boards of stand-up. When I did my last stand-up gigs, smoking had very recently been banned in pubs, and everyone was a bit befuddled by the atmosphere.

Having said that, I prided myself in thinking that I still know my routines pretty well. So that if anyone should ever say, "Perform me ten minutes of very average comedy or I'll shoot you in the face," I could have come up trumps. Sorry for anyone who thinks stand-ups ad-lib the whole thing. They don't. None of them. Some make a decent pass at 'faking the moment' and some are genuinely gifted with audience interaction, but by and large, most of it is a carefully-honed routine, where, like a poem, even the word order of every sentence has been tweaked and pulled for maximum comic effect.

So I am tidying the flat at the moment. The flat will soon be Very Tidy. In so doing, I came across a lot of old papers. In my early days of stand-up, I used to make notes about what I was planning to talk about; I didn't take the notes onto the stage (though I sometimes wrote key words on my hand just in case), but I'd use it as a memory jog before I left home.

I found one of these notes today, definitely from the early days and in my own handwriting. It looks like notes for a ten-minute set. I am ashamed to say that I recognise practically none of this as my material. So a challenge for you, Ploggers. From the below, please create your own jokes. I have typed this up exactly as the note reads.

  • (Teachers)
  • Knackered - tosser - sticky
  • Sky
  • Mum
  • (Grandma)
  • Back to work - does it really matter?
  • Single - hair - religously - Sunday school project
  • Name - number - dirty bitch - blow jobs - pick a pencil up - Dad - are you proud of me?
  • Speed dating. Apparently he's a regular at Liverpool Street
  • Drawback - sharing a flat. Petty
  • Stranger
  • Lost my security money. All worked out fine though - I kept her boyf's deposit.
I'm beginning to see why I gave it up...

1 comment:

MJenks said...

I used to do some improv comedy. I can tell you that improv comedians come to the stage armed with jokes that they could possibly work into the set, too. It's just that you have to make it look like you came up with it right then and there. A lot of improv is acting surprised.