About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Light debate

Well, my lovely Ploggers, well, well, well.

What a very busy few days. In the last three days I have filled every unforgiving minute with at least sixty seconds' worth of distance run. In fact, some minutes I ran a good hour's worth of distance. That's how busy I've been.

I've had a few lovely days off work and I have achieved so far since Saturday:

- Dropped TheBloke (TM) off to play cricket
- Driven to the Midlands
- Had a hair cut
- Experimented with home hair dye
- Visited my friend Abi with a new baby (her own new baby, not one that she'd just happened to pick up)
- Went out for dinner with my parents
- Went on a horse-riding hack
- Had a primary school reunion
- Saw The Time Traveler's Wife
- Went to Chatsworth
- Did a pub quiz - and didn't get banned
- Saw my friend Elinor
- Drove back to London

Busy, busy, busy.

On the way home to London, as ever, I had Radio 2 on in the Mini. It was Jeremy Vine. I hate Jeremy Vine, but I couldn't be bothered to change channels.

Still, it was unbelievable. The "debate" show today featured members of the public getting genuinely furious about:

a) Roadworks in Manchester
b) Lightbulbs (I kid you not)
c) Whether or not British people behaved badly abroad.

Furious these people were. Angry, angry people. The lightbulbs were my favourite bit. The government is apparently banning 100 Watt lightbulbs in favour of energy efficient ones. Fine. A bit nannying perhaps, and personally I like bright lights, but if you get enough of those halogen ones, there's no real problem.

Or so I thought.

These people were - on more than one occasion - incandescent with rage. They made that joke (incandescent apparently being some sort of lightbulb) at least three times.

My favourite quotations:

"I'm bulk buying them. I bought twenty today." Since when is twenty bulk-buying?

"I'd like to bulk-buy them whilst they're still in stock, but I can't afford it." Christ, if you can't afford a few lightbulbs, I'd forget your rubbish lightbulb crusade and start lobbying the government for a better pension, or Mad Person Allowance or whatever it is you get.

"Will the government pay for a new light fitting for me?" No, Nigel. Now fuck off.

The last time I listened to Jeremy Vine it was about three years ago and an extremely lively (yet dull) debate was raging about wheely bins. I wonder if he goes home at night and cries himself to sleep about the futility of his existence.

3 comments:

Jeremy Vine said...

Hi Laura just to say I'm enjoying your blog. I am on holiday so didn't hear the show you're referring to but thanks for referencing it. Jeremy Vine

Anonymous said...

Would you recommend seeing 'The Time Traveler's Wife' (even though it's incorrectly spelled, grr)? My nose got prickly and I started to well up just at seeing the ADVERT in the cinema a few weeks ago, the book was so good.

Nice Kate x

Laura said...

"Jeremy" - you are right, it was naive of me to think that the "Jeremy Vine Show" was presented by Jeremy Vine. It's in safe hands though and utterly indistinguishable from the the real thing.

Nice Kate - yes, it was good. Of course not as good as the book, but worth seeing. The girl who plays Clare is exceptionally beautiful which I found a bit distracting. I kept thinking, "Ooh, what lovely teeth she has," which I'm not sure was the main message of the film.

L x

PS Saw Mrs Nice Kate on the plinth last night - and heard your shout out!