About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Hakuna matata

Last night I saw The Lion King in the West End. I was initially sceptical about the show - as Disney and puppets are not usually two of my favourite things. However, various friends' reviews convinced me it was worth a shot. And indeed it was. The costumes and animal choreography were amazing, and I really love African vocal music, of which there was a-plenty.

However, probably my favourite part involved a small child. Now, I'm generally not a fan of small children - especially at the theatre. The whiny little bastards tend to kick my seat, rustle sweets and wait for the most moving part of the show to say something totally arbitrary and very loudly in the silence like, "Mummy, why does that man have no hair?" and generally irritate the crap out of me.

However The Lion King is hardly sparkling dialogue - and most of the enjoyment is visual, so I didn't mind yesterday evening's diversion... For this small child, clearly the best thing about going to the theatre was being allowed to clap. Clapping was a lot of fun to this little chap or chappess.

So every time anything happened - and I mean anything - the small child would give its own ovation. The elephant got clapped. Simba got a clap. The really quiet bit where Simba's dad is killed and is laying solemnly on the ground... got a big clap.

It made me giggle. Is there any more amusing sound than the inappropriate clapping of one small child?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While in Etosha National Park in Africa, KT and I were sat watching the animals at the watering hole at night. We had taken our blankets from the tent and were sharing a bottle of Amarula (to keep us warm). We sat there nice and quietly with all the 'serious animal watchers' and ooh'd and ahh'd at the appropriate moments until one of the many elephants farted! We were in fits of giggles while everyone else around us looked unimpressed. Come on people - an ELEPHANT! FARTED!
That was a funny noise!
H x

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's very funny to laugh at young children or possibly mentally handicapped people. Well... young children at least.

Fulthy!