About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Monday, June 25, 2007

Tits up

Yesterday Jessica and I toddled off to a wedding in Bedfordshire. Jessica flipped out a little bit as some of the roads had changed since her little GPS memory was programmed, but with a relatively small amount of hassle, we found our way there and back again.

It was a lovely wedding, and really nice to see my uni friends. Corinne, the bride, looked resplendent (even if she hadn't I'd have probably still used that word. It's a good word.) and Elinor's boyfriend, Jean-Marc entertained the crowds by exhibiting his classically-trained ballet skills on the dancefloor. Never before has Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" been so effectively enhanced by the addition of a pirouette.

Today has been a much-coveted day of annual leave. There has been pottering, a certain amount of shopping, and an amusing debate on Radio 2. It was all about women's right to breast-feed in public. There were two unpleasant people using amazing adjectives to describe women breastfeeding as: "dirty", "unhygienic", "unladylike" and "disgusting".

It made me really, really angry. Now, as you all know, I'm not a massive fan of the small stupid people (babies) but can you really argue that a woman feeding her child is something dirty? When TV and film and practically all of the media is so sexualised, how can you possibly argue that seeing women's breasts for the purpose for which they were designed is wrong? As for "unladylike", I can't think of many activities more likely to prove you're a lady.

It made me angry enough to consider getting pregnant for the sole purpose of arguing with protesters when I got my knockers out on the tube to breast feed.

1 comment:

Sara said...

As my mum (the ex-midwife) always says "Breast is Best"!