About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Monday, November 10, 2008

Alphabet female

Laura's Pet Peeves - No. 4673

People who say "haitch"

Let's rationalise this one. It doesn't matter. Not in the grand scheme of things. In fact, it almost makes sense if the letter "h" is pronounced with the "huh" sound in front of it. But the point is, it's wrong. It's "aitch". Aitch aitch aitch aitch aitch. That is the truth.

And so many people say "haitch" and it makes me want to throw a book at their fat stupid heads. Illogical. It doesn't really matter.

And it's never bothered me all that much before. Except I now work for a company where the letter "H" figures quite prominently in the company's name. So I hear it a lot. And it seems I missed the memo circulated to every other member of staff where they redefined the pronounciation as "haitch".

Hated hogs of hell. Humph.

5 comments:

Tessa said...

Horrible, horrible 'haitch'! And another particularly peevish peeve:
Don't you just hate it when you've finally found time to settle down with a book, a glass of wine and a tiny little dish of nibbles just for you, and someone sidles up and asks an inane question? For example - "Hey, whaddya doin'?" Urrrgh. "What do you think I'm doing, you mouldy wool sack!"

Glad I found your blog, Laura, even though I'm too old to get up into a standing position from a bean bag unassisted. (It was the Black Box that got me here, btw)

Anonymous said...

Agreed -very annoying, I don't think they can help it -almost like a tic - but is it as annoying as the hard 'g' in 'margarine' (shudder) - I think not!!
RSN

Anonymous said...

In Glasgow, people think the letter 'j' is pronounced 'jye'. (It rhymes with WHY??!)

Nice Kate

Anonymous said...

Pronounciation?

Jesus Haitch!

Laura said...

Oh no! I am off to think about what I have done, spelling wise.

It's like that time I sent an email out to the entire department with an apostrophe in the wrong place. It was a typo, but would anyone let me off?

It was my birthday as well. Worst birthday ever.

;o)

L x