About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Washed out

New York City - 1: Laura - 0

I landed at JFK yesterday to a glorious evening. It was a tad colder than the UK but the sun was shining and the view of Manhattan's skyline was as amazing as I'd remembered it. Admittedly this time I was sharing a "SuperShuttle Bus" with a driver who sang (badly) along to the merengue on the radio, and a rude French couple (is there any other sort?) who refused to let the man sat next to them put his bag by their feet. And a British girl who kept threatening to be sick.

I dithered about going out to get my bearings once I found my hotel, but decided a good night's sleep would sort me out for the morning.

My hotel room is tiny - but clean and very central. It's hard to tell what the weather's like from inside as the window is very small and looks out onto a brick wall. Oh yes, nothing but luxury for me.

Because of the time difference, I woke up bright and early this morning, stuck the TV on, vaguely noted something about some sort of storm, jotted down a few addresses of things I wanted to see, and decided to go to a cafe for breakfast. On getting to the lobby, it became painfully apparent it was raining. Lots. Suddenly the idea of "leaving the umbrella in London" seemed like one of my worst decisions to date. No worries. I'm sure they sell umbrellas in NYC. And indeed they do. $7 later I was the proud owner of a Nice Purple Umbrella.

As the day progressed, it appeared I was in fact the proud owner of the world's first Incredible Leaking Umbrella (patent pending).

I decided to try my luck on the subway. I remembered it confused me last time, but I am a savvy Londoner, utterly au fais with the tube. I could conquer this!

I couldn't.

And I have to apologise. Because New York's subway system has been designed by a moron. Several of the tube stations have the same name. Meaning I thought I was on 23rd Street on the 1 line or the red line or whatever the fuck it is. In actual fact I was on the Broadway Local line. No matter, actually, this was good too, and I could walk from Cortlandt Street. Until, without warning the train didn't stop until we were well into Brooklyn. Construction work, apparently. Still, at least I've been to Brooklyn.

So why am I apologising? Well, the subway has clearly been designed by someone with no sense of direction, no logic, no attention to detail... In short, it was probably me. I probably invent / use a time machine at some point in the future, pop over to NYC and design a really fucking awful / half-hearted attempt at public transport. So, sorry about that.

Anyway, sod transport. I love walking. I'll walk!

Some point around midday, the Incredible Leaking Umbrella (patent pending) gave up its (somewhat tenuous) grip on life. Still, the weather was incredibly awful, so I can't really blame the brolly. I'm no wuss when it comes to rain; I lived in Bristol for three years. But this was a proper storm - I could barely edge a few inches forward before getting blown back again, flaps of broken umbrella and spokes of metal barely missing my eyes.

It was at this point, a mere 50 metres from Abercrombie and Fitch that I decided that this was actually quite dangerous. I ditched the idea of Abercrombie, ditched the brolly (which was no longer a brolly so much as a sheet of semi-waterproof material with a few useless pieces of metal dangling dangerously), hailed a cab (tried to explain to a not-exactly-fluent cab driver where West 31st and 5th Avenue was) and came back to my hotel.

Everything I was wearing was absolutely soaked, so as I write this, I'm stripped and wrapped in a fluffy towel, and wondering exactly how much of a waste of the holiday it would be if I didn't re-emerge from the hotel room.

Total expenditure today:

$10 breakfast
$7 brolly
$24 weekly subway card
$20 taxi fare...

... and nothing to show for any of it! And it's only 2 p.m...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I would leave a comment, but it's just so hot today that I don't know if I can be bothered... ;-)

I quite like the thought of you stripped and in a nice fluffy towel though. Must be the heat.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure it will get better Laura! Poor you! It has been rather hot here today - been in shorts!You will feel better tomorrow. Wednesday looks to be your best day over there. Chin up! You don't need good weather for Macey's
RSN

Laura said...

You say that. Macy's is two blocks' walk from here. About five minutes. There are also two problems.

Problem one: it is raining too much to go out without an umbrella. The umbrella is dead.

Problem two: my boots (yes, my nice sturdy Camper boots) are soaked through, and I don't think my trainers are up to the job. I am a prisoner. Or else I am someone with wet feet.

All flights from JFK have been cancelled.

Tomorrow is supposed to be worse.

I cannot believe it's 26 degrees where you are. I hate you all.

L x

Anonymous said...

im glad it's not just me it happens to. i was in death valley, death fucking valley, the hottest place on earth. and it fucking rained. england had nice weather though....gits

anyway, all i have to say laura is DIDUMS!!!!

'oh poor me, im in new york blah blah blah i couln't reach my designer outlet where i was paying someone to buff my bottom with designer silk loo role boo hoo'

go and do something exiting, like goose a policeman, and then take a photo...

BJ

Anonymous said...

i love that simpsons episode 'homer VS new york'

genius

Anonymous said...

You need this! http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/gustbuster1.html

You also need flipflops. Feet dry quicker than shoes.

Or wellies. I bet you could get some really cute ones in New York.

You do know they have an Abercombie and Fitch in London now...

Anonymous said...

yeh, london's great isnt it....hey laura, dont you already live there? hmmm

Laura said...

Sarah had a wind-proof umbrella in Bristol. Lasted about a week. Too cold for flip-flops but did semi-seriously consider wellies earlier today (everyone else was wearing them).

When I went round the world (Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand and Fiji) the one thing I heard in EVERY SINGLE PLACE was, "You're really unlucky; it almost never rains at this time of year." I know. That's why I planned my fucking trip at that time of year. Bastards.

I am a rain god. Now worship me.

L x

Sara said...

Oh Laura... it's f-ing awful weather here in Philly too.. same storm, obviously! I hope it clears up for ya!
Looks like it will be relatively rain free when I come up to see you on Wednesday!

We can do whatever you want... shopping, shows, sites, etc... I'm just glad for a day off work!

See you soon!

Anonymous said...

All Hail Pluvia!

BTW - did you ever see 'The Day After Tomorrow' Laura? Keep an eye out for a big wave dwarfing the Empire State... Wellies? I'd get an inflatable dinghy ready!
RSN

Gary said...

Hey, I've found your blog.

I have my umbrella in Iran. It rained a lot in Shiraz, and I felt very pleased with myself that I'd accidentally packed my umbrella.

It's not raining any more. In fact, there is not a cloud in the sky.

Not to rub it in any more, but my total expenditure today is as follows:

Some flatbread for breakfast: $0.2

A bottle of water: $0.2

Entry to the Chehel Sotun Palace: $0.6

Half hour internet use: $1

Total spent: $2

Hope the weather gets better soon.