About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Monday, April 02, 2007

MANipulation

Today at work, my PC had been upgraded to a new operating system. We'd been given careful step-by-step instructions that were apparently totally moron-proof.

They didn't factor in Laura's Aura (as my dad calls it). My ability to beta test to destruction was once again proved today, as, before I could even complete step one of the user guide... my PC wouldn't even switch on.

Luckily we had two "floorwalkers" who were on hand to answer queries. Despite what my lying colleagues say, I categorically did NOT strategically remove my jacket to reveal a quite low-cut top every time I needed technical support. It was a warm day! Are they accusing me of strategic flirtation?

OK, well, maybe I did. But it worked. As one of the only women in the department, my PC was problem-free by midday today. I left my male colleagues at 5 p.m., still struggling on.

For clarification, yes, I am a feminist. But I have also noticed how in debates in work situations, men make the most of their genetic predisposition: they use their louder voices to talk over women, they use their height to intimidate... so, why shouldn't I make the most of my physical characteristics for a bit of persuasion when needed?

Winning the gender war. All you need is breasts. Dead simple.

No comments: