About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Cab with a cob on

Today I had an angry cab driver.  In my old job I tended to get a cab at least once a week, but I do much less travelling with my new job, and that which I do do, I tend to drive.

But today saw a trip to Coventry, and a one-hour train journey, versus a three-hour car journey seemed the more sensible option.  Until, of course the tube strike was announced.  Then it became a Very Silly But Already Paid For Decision.

So I ordered a cab for 7.45, needing to get to Euston at 8.45.  Plenty of time.

Of course, with not a tube running, the traffic was shit.  Actually, scratch that.  The traffic was worse than shit.  If you imagine actual faeces running down the street, that would have been significantly more pleasant than 8.22 on Gray's Inn Road this morning.

Now my cab driver was a minicab driver - meaning we'd agreed a flat fee for the journey of £15 rather than a black cab where the fare would have ticked up by 20p every 48 seconds, meaning that I owed roughly the GDP of a small South American country by 8.32.  This made the cab driver angry.  Very angry.

I will concede there was a lot of traffic.  I will concede that it was frustrating.  But I also realise that when this is the case, most of the time you're better to sit in the queue you're in.  This cab driver had not yet realised this.  So every time there was a queue longer than three cars in front of him, he would tut and do an angry u-turn in the middle of a busy street, at speed.

Every time a traffic report came on the radio, he'd turn the radio up.  It was Magic FM (easy listening that's a bit easy listening even for me).  At the end of the traffic report, he'd uniformly forget to turn the volume down again.  Meaning that by 8.37 The Carpenter's Close To You was being played at a decibel level I bet it's never ever reached in the whole of human history before.

We arrived at the station at exactly 8.43, meaning I missed my train by slightly less than one minute.  London tube strikes - gotta love 'em.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At this point can I recommend "London Underground" by the Amateur Transplants?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYVJSOFZxDE

Anonymous said...

Did you get a cab in Coventry? I had to go to a meeting in Coventry, took the train from Loughborough so I could read notes on the journey rather than sit on the M1/M69 getting frustrated in the traffic jam.

I got a cab at Coventry station and a cheery asian taxi driver asked me where I'd come from. When I said Loughborough, he proceeded to tell me how he had studied for an HND in Motor Vehicles at Loughborough University. The poor chap did not know that I knew this to be absolute rubbish having a foot in both camps (so to speak) and I enjoyed asking him about his studies on the 15 minute journey to my meeting in the middle of an industrial estate somewhere in Coventry. When I got out of the cab I told him where I worked and where my husband worked. He looked a little bit sheepish. I had a cab booked for my return journey to the station at the end of the day - guess who it was? Much quieter return journey. Keep on blogging.

Love Hazel's Mum x

Laura said...

I did indeed get a cab in Coventry... sounds like I was at the same industrial estate as you. Such a beautiful city...

;o)

L x