About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Stick it where the sun doesn't shine

Ploggers, it's no shock to any of you who have either followed the sunflower saga, or else have ever purchased a houseplant for me, to learn I do not have green fingers. Lilies lay listless, crocuses croak and pansies pass away.

And the sunflowers. Oh the sunflowers.

So, excited to have a new garden this year, in February I bought some sunflower seeds. The main reason I chose sunflowers for my foray into gardening was it said on the packet they were suitable for small children and very easy to grow. This suited me perfectly. We'd had a cold winter, and the packet said they needed to be planted in warm soil, so I waited like an overexcited child waits for Christmas. Except, I was waiting for spring. Not Christmas. Even I know that's a bad time to plant sunflowers.

By April I could contain myself no longer and planted the seeds indoors in pots. It was a miracle! Within two or three days they began to sprout. I propped them up, firstly with lollipop seeds, and later, Mrs Nunn brought some canes for me. I was so excited.

Then in May I was due to go away on holiday for a week. This posed a problem. Did I a) plant the sunflowers outside or b) leave them indoors? I dithered. And dithered some more. And eventually decided to plant half of them outdoors and leave half inside.

When I came back from my hols, all of the indoor sunflowers had died. I may have cried a little bit. Worse still, most of the outdoor plants had disappeared entirely. The work of slugs, apparently, as the three surviving plants also had large nibbles from their leaves.

So I worked hard on my three remaining plants. I nursed them. I loved them. I put eggshells around their bases to ward off the slugs. I gave TheBloke (TM) strict instructions to water them if it was dry when I was in New York. And finally, finally this week, the tallest (OK, only two feet, but still) finally looked like it was almost ready to bloom.

Today - coincidentally - we paid a man some money to come and chop down a tree that was too close to our house. He did a good job. Very thorough.

He didn't even charge us extra for the three weedy-looking sunflower plants he felled whilst carrying out his duties.

I will not be defeated. I'm already planning next year's sunflower crop. I think the secret is to plant more. 200 should give at least five of them a fighting chance of blossoming.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps next time you can take a photo to show us how you prop up your sunflowers with lollipop seeds!

Unknown said...

poor Laura. Maybe the seeds were not good ones

Laura said...

I can't believe you don't know about lollipop seeds! Where do you think lollipops grow from?

And Mum, there was nothing wrong with the seeds. The seeds grew fine. And obviously they were also yummy to slugs.

L x