About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Uplifted

I put my heavy bag down in the hotel lift (elevator) and let out a long sigh. The gentleman who stepped into the lift (elevator) with me said, "It looks like it's been a long day."

It had. It had been a long day. I got up at 6.30 a.m. and was in the office by 7.15. I then took the subway over to New Jersey, and ran a training session. During the workshop, at the stage when I ask the group to give me an expectation they'd like to meet in the training session, one participant said, "My expectation is to find out why I've been sent on this training course and if it's going to be as much of a waste of time as I think it's going to be." He didn't improve throughout the session.

I then got the train back to Manhattan (it's 95 Fahrenheit today but not really sunny - just very humid so utterly unpleasant underground), then tried to get the subway back to Midtown.... and ended up in Brooklyn. I still fucking hate the subway system.

I eventually got back to the hotel at about 6.30 p.m., exhausted. So when the lift (elevator) companion said that it looked like it had been a long day, I agreed. And said, "I hate your subway system." (I thought it was a fairly safe bet he hadn't designed it.)

He said, "You look knackered. Ha! How many New Yorkers would say 'knackered'? None! Just me!" At which point he thankfully got out of the lift (elevator), otherwise, I think I might have punched him.

I've had a great time out here, but I'm ready to come home to London, the drizzle, the tube system (I never thought I'd miss the tube), Monty Cat and TheBloke (TM). Possibly in that order.

No comments: