About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Well-wishing

Last night saw my second Buddhist class. This one was about loving kindness, or something.

We had to wish ourselves well, then wish a friend well, then wish a neutral person about whom you have no feelings well (the man who works in Costcutter in my case), then wish your enemy well.

This was difficult. I could wish myself well, no problem. I could wish my friend well (did the vibes make it to New Zealand, Hazel?). I could even wish the man in Costcutter well, although he does scowl at me a bit sometimes. But my enemy? Well, firstly it was hard to choose just one. There are lots of people I don't like. I might make a list one day.

But I tried very, very hard and eventually managed to wish happiness for Evil Kate. Ah - you knew there was a Nice Kate, didn't you? Well, ying and yang and all that - where there's Niceness, there must be Evility. That's a real word. Honest.

Though it did occur to me midway through my meditation, that perhaps (just for the purpose of the exercise) I should stop calling her Evil Kate.

PS If you're called any form of Katherine, and I don't already know you, could you please refrain from getting to know me? I already know a Nice Kate, Evil Kate, Kath, Katherine, Kathryn, Kayt, Katie, Katy, Katy Who Smells of Wee and a Cathy. It's getting a bit much. Stop it now. It's just silly.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

If that is I, then may I happily note that I am the only one who made the sensible choice when born to go with the 'C' rather than the 'K' spelling. Well done me.

You are most welcome to call me Miss C, a name I have found given to me on the account of someone giving it to me.

Laura said...

Cathy, you at least get bonus points for being a "C" rather than a "K".

When I was at high school, my science set had 15 girls in it... five of whom were called Laura. So I suppose I shouldn't judge.

Anonymous said...

1978 was a popular year for Catherine's of every spelling apparantly, according to the census. There were 8 in my class alone !

I know 5 Laura's. All with L's.

This is why I shall be calling my daughter Marmaduke.

Anonymous said...

Remind me what your middle name is Laura?

Laura said...

Damnit, completely forgot about that. Middle name is Kate. Just Kate. Not Katherine, or Evil Kate. Just Kate.

It's a nice name. There are just too many. I propose a cull.

Laura Kate

Anonymous said...

I am a Katie. In fact I am The Katie. Am I no longer allowed to read the Plog?

Anonymous said...

Just Kate sounds to me like an offshoot of the TV programme Judge Judy. That might be just me though. (Just Me?)

Anonymous said...

I am in a position to assure you that my name is not Catherine in any shape or form. However, my name is Claire and there were 7 in my year at school. My sister's name is Paula and she never meets anyone with the same name. So I resent her.

Laura said...

Katies and their derivatives may all read the Plog. Any unaccounted Katherine-types must not make themselves known to me from now on. Good.

Marmaduke is a great name for a girl. Or Jasper. ;o)

L x