About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Monday, November 20, 2006

Tales of a swooner

Are you a fainter? I am. Touch wood, I've not fainted for a year or so. Still, the last one was on the tube, which was a particularly unpleasant faint, as Londoners literally do step over you. "This is a busy town; we are in a rush, we care not for your weakness. Were you a gazelle, the lions would get you, you weakling. Be glad you are not a gazelle. Now get out of my way." That is the general London philosophy.

So, best faint ever? Where "best" means most impact / most embarrassing situation / most amusing outcome.

I have many close contenders. I will save them for another day. My number one, all time best faint ever would this:

Picture the scene. I'm 16 years old and working as a silver service waitress at a hotel near my parents' house. I'm not a big fan of waitressing, but the guy I fancy is working the bar that evening, so I wear my short black skirt.

The evening is going well. The restaurant is busy, I'm getting lots of smiles from the guy. My waitressing skills are brilliant. Go me. Then, just after I pick up a stack of 20 plates, I feel a bit funny. I wander over to the bar area to see if I can sit down. Too late. I wake up a minute later, with 19 broken plates next to me, my legs akimbo, and the bloke I fancy standing by my head, laughing.

I am then sick over his feet.

Best Faint Ever. Tell me about yours.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! Really cool faint!!!

Laura said...

Technically that happened just before the plate-dropping incident. I had to get the butter portions out of the walk-in fridge, and couldn't reach the top shelf. So I stood on the bottom shelf, twisted my leg when I came down, and was in quite a lot of pain. Then I grabbed the stack of plates... and the rest is history.

Thanks for bringing up my breach of health and safety. Now I'll never get another job as a waitress.

Besides which, aren't you about half an inch taller than me?

L x

Anonymous said...

I fainted whilst trying to run out of a school cookery class (thought to myself, if i can just make it to the balcony and sit for a minute I'll be fine).

Unfortunately the exertion of opening the huge wooden door meant I fainted, knocked the fire extinguisher off the wall on the way down (to ensure the whole class saw/heard) and woke up with the cookery teacher holding my head! Nearly enough to make me have another funny turn :o) KT do you remember?
Hazel x