About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Friday, November 03, 2006

Getting personal

Yesterday I had an appointment with a personal shopper. The idea is that I get some shiny new clothes to match my shiny new job. Plus I get someone with taste to choose them for me. What could go wrong?

I turned up at Debenhams for my appointment, after what can only be described as a pretty rough day, and met the lady who'd be in charge of my outfits. After running through some questions about my preferences, she said, "OK, I'm going to go and bring a selection back for you - I'll be about fifteen minutes. Have a coffee." I did. Fifteen minutes passed. No personal shopper. Twenty minutes passed. I looked at the walls. Half an hour passed. I began to worry about my personal shopper. Maybe she'd been brutally injured in a retail-related disaster.

After 45 minutes, I poked my head out of the personal shopping room. She was stood about three feet away, chatting to a colleague. She made some flimsy excuse about checking with the manager about the petite range, but I wasn't convinced. I reckon she was saying to her mate, "You wouldn't believe the dog's dinner I've got in there. Go on, have a peek. She thinks that you can wear turquoise with brown! Hilarious!"

Anyway, I have lots of new clothes. And a matching necklace. It was a good end to an otherwise rubbish day.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Wait a minute... you can't wear turquoise with brown?!?!? Maybe I should seek out a personal shopper too!
Since reading the Shopperholic books (light reading, of course) I quite fancied myself as a personal shopper, now I'll have to re-think my career path if turquoise doesn't go with brown!!!
Maybe colors (note the US spelling) match differently in England, hhmmmm.

Anonymous said...

Did you find yourself a nice velvet coat with random pink circles a la Biffo The Clown ?