About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

New York - Part 2

We knew it was going to be cold in New York. We knew this. In fact, as we were booking it, I did say, "You know it's going to be cold in New York, don't you?" We knew.

We even looked online at the weather forecast. "Ooh," we'd say, "ooh, it's -2 at the moment. Ooh."

As we arrived in New York to a practically tropical zero, it didn't feel so bad. Until the next day, when the temperature dropped.

One of two things is true: New Yorkers are obssessed by the weather, to the extent that it always makes the evening news, or else I happen only to visit New York during times of extreme weather.

I was pleased - at first - not to know how to convert to Centigrade. But it was 20 degrees Fahrenheit. I knew it was a bit chilly. But still, TheBloke (TM) and I had booked a swanky-pants looking restaurant and were going out for the evening. And of course I was going to wear my little black dress. Because I was gorgeous.

I was gorgeous. For about sixty seconds. Until my legs turned first red and then purple and finally blue. No-one remarked on the little black dress, but a few concerned glances from fellow subway commuters suggested they were recognising someone in the early stages of hypothermia.

Turns out 20 degrees Farenheit is about -7 Centigrade. I had bare legs. On the Laura scale of chilliness (which records temperatures from "A Bit Nippy" to "Fucking Hell It's Cold") we achieved a never-before-seen "Oh My God I Actually Think I Might Die".

Admittedly this level was achieved just once before in the Lake District in March, immersed in an underground tank of water. But I wasn't wearing a little black dress at the time. And trained staff soon bundled me into a fleece, sat me in a van and put the heaters on. New York City has no such trained staff. More is the pity.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I'm going to NYC for the day tomorrow! Yay! Yes, still cold here... but used to bundling up :)

I wore a little black dress on Sunday to go out to a swanky-pants restaurant in Philly. The key is to wear the little black dress with knee-high boots (just purchased on clearance at Nine West on Saturday!). Makes a world of difference over bare legs!

Glad you had a fun trip :)

Anonymous said...

God, you're such a moaning wuss
i walk naked round new york all the time and i've only ever had hypothermia 5 times. Kids today.