About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Tell me why... I don't like Mondays

It's hard not to feel lugubrious on the Sunday evening before a return to work after a lovely three weeks of holiday. No matter how much you enjoy your job, few people will deny that not being at work is better than being at work. Indeed, I believe that's why they agree to exchange their money for your time. This week, for me, the usual Sunday night blues are multiplied by three, and compounded by the fact that I have to get a very early flight to Edinburgh tomorrow, meaning I'll be up at 5 a.m. Woe is me. I genuinely do have a very mardy face on this evening.

But really, it probably is time for me to go back to work. Despite there being a few chores I've not yet got round to (still need to get my bathroom taps sorted out, plus my Corsa might have a "serious steering fault " - sure it's not vital...), I've found that recently I've been burning time a little too effectively. Yes, I've done some useful work, but I've also spent literally hours playing Facebook Scrabble, watching repeats of Frasier on Sky, baking cakes (well, one cake, let's not talk it up) and a tiny task (the washing up, putting laundry away) has started stretching to the main purpose of any given day. It's probably time I had some structure again.

I've also found that being on leave means that I spend a lot of money. I'm not sure why this is. It might have something to do with the trip to New York, the shopping, the new LCD TV I've bought... But all of those things were bought because I was on holiday so had the time to do so. So perhaps it is time to confine myself to an office space where they only let me out for an hour to buy stuff.

Mind you, there's always duty free at the airport tomorrow.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I get 3 weeks "vacation time" the whole year, so I'm extremely jealous that you just had 3 weeks off in Janaury alone!

Oh, and if you thought NYC was cold the other week, it really is bitterly cold here now! It's currently 11 F outside.

Yes... I have a case of the Mardy Mondays!