About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Growing up

There were lots of things I wanted to be when I was growing up. I certainly never "knew", as some people claim they do, that I was going to be a doctor, a pilot, a vet. Over the years I wanted to be:

- A psychiatrist
- A psychologist (once I found out you had to be a fully-fledged doctor before becoming a psychiatrist... and that involved A-level Chemistry)
- A lawyer
- An actor
- An English teacher
- Artistic Director at the RSC
- An English teacher again
- A stand-up comic
- A writer
- An English teacher again

To this date, I've miserably failed on pretty much all of those. OK, I've had a couple of stabs at amateur dramatics - on the performing and the directing side, but Dame Judi Dench or Uncle Trevor Nunn I am not.

So what happened? London happened. I wanted to be in London. Being a traditional-type person, worried about security, I wanted a job in London before I moved here. I applied for a few graduate schemes whilst I was at university. Being quick off the mark, the first one that opened was RBS, and the rest is history. I am a banker.

Yes, I moved roles within RBS, eventually leaving the company (to move to another bank) last year. And in those roles I did a bit of training - call it teaching if you like. Shakespeare it wasn't. Still not really ticking the boxes though.

I resisted several sustained attempts to make me move to Edinburgh. London was my home. London is my home. London made it all worthwhile.

But now, with London itself beginning to irritate me ever so slightly with its shitty transport, the fact that it can take three hours to get from East to West London, with the twatty people that seem to push past on the tube or else stand in front of the exit gates, regarding their Oyster card like it's a wondrous piece of witchcraft (what's that, Dr Johnson? Am I tired of life?), it makes me wonder, just sometimes, "What else could I do?"

And however much you enjoy your job, no-one tells their grandma that when they grow up, they're going to be an end-to-end customer-centric service level agreement manager in the customer journey re-engineering department of a major UK bank.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet you have the longest business card out of all your friends, if you put the full job title on. Cheer up. You could be a college lecturer.

Love Hazel's Mum x

Unknown said...

I'm with Hazel's mum on this one