About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Over and over

This weekend has been different for me. My usual weekend often involves a smattering of comedy, perhaps a meal or two out, a spot of reading and catching up on TV.

This weekend I went to watch TheBloke (TM) play cricket. It was not without a certain amount of trepidation that I went along. When I first ascertained that TheBloke (TM) played cricket, I was quite pleased, as it's probably the only sport I know anything at all about. With my best knowing expression, I asked him his batting order.

"I usually bat eighth," he said, with his funny accent, customary of TheBloke (TM).

"Ah!" exclaimed I. "So you're a bowler?"

"Not really," he replied.

"So you're not a batsman, and you're not a bowler?" I thought perhaps he kept wicket. Not so.

I was worried he might be the team mascot.

So I went along, taking a book, some suncream and some sushi for lunch (for which I was teased. What on earth is wrong with bringing sushi along, I ask you?). TheBloke (TM) was sadly out for a duck. For non-cricketers, let's just say he proved his point about not being a batsman.

But later they let him have a few overs (for non-cricketers, that means he got to throw the ball round a bit), but sadly he didn't get a wicket. His team won though.

At the end of the match, over he jogged, pleased as punch. After accidentally standing on my sandalled toe with his cricket spikes, he asked if I'd seen his catch. Oops. Much like when Dad used to take me to Trent Bridge as a kid, all of the action happened when I was in the toilet.

George Michael has the same issue, I believe.

No comments: