About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Bin and gone

I was in Pizza Express. I wasn't all that hungry, so thought that perhaps a pasta dish might hit the spot rather more than a giant pizza, but it was a tough decision.

The waitress came over. "Lasagne, please," said I.

"OK," she said. Then she looked worried. "We don't have any lasagne."

"Oh," I said. Reader, I panicked. "I'll have the pizza pomodoro e pancetta," I bluffed, thinking that bacon and tomatoes sounded pretty good on a pizza, and feeling quite smug with my (admittedly fairly basic) mastery of Italian. When I say "mastery", this is limited entirely to pizza ingredients and - I'm not quite sure how - knowing the word for "bin".

The waitress was very prompt. Within three minutes, both TheBloke (TM) and I had our pizzas.

There was something wrong. Whilst TheBloke (TM) had a pizza simply oozing with mozzerella... my pizza was entirely cheese-fucking-free.

I had a pizza base, tomato sauce and bacon. Reader, I had ordered what was basically a sodding bacon sandwich.

If it doesn't have cheese, it's not a pizza. One for the cassonetto.

No comments: