About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Sunday, December 09, 2007

A little lift

It was about eight in the morning on Friday. I got into the lift in the hotel, on my way to the office. A man already in the lift greeted me.

"Bonjour," he said. This confused me a bit. Firstly I am in Singapore. And secondly, how did he know that I have two languages: English and foreign, and that my "foreign" happens to be French?

"Bonjour," I said, or to be authentic, je dis.

"Comment ça va?" he asked me.

"Erm, ça va bien, merci," I said, dragging my early-morning, little-serviced French to the front of my mind. I followed this up with, "Et toi?" Oh no! Mistake! Using the "tu" (informal) with a stranger! Even this early in the morning, in the wrong language I was aware of my faux pas. "Desolée," I said. "Vous. Vous. Desolée."

And so I spent a slightly awkward lift ride having behaved slightly inappropriately towards a total stranger. Just like being back in London.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you big ponce,

you should have said 'what? huh? was that french? no one speaks that...English isn't called the lingua franca for nothing you fool'

or something like that

BJ