About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Physicality

The company I work for is very big. Well, less big than before the credit crunch, but big nonetheless. I work in the headquarters which is a massive, massive building with about 45 floors. One floor is entirely devoted to a staff gym, which despite pretty miniscule monthly fees, I have no desire whatsoever to join. The gym is state of the art. Even I can tell that.

The gym also runs classes. And today on the Intranet, I saw this message:

Pregnancy Yogalates, specifically aimed at mothers-to-be, is an eight-week course which begins on Monday 19 January. The course is open to members (cost GBP40.00) and non-members (GBP50.00) Yogalates combines yoga stretches to lengthen the body and relax the mind along with Pilates matwork to strengthen your core muscles and help ease back pain. Please note attendees must have participated in physical activity prior to pregnancy.

Call me naive, but doesn't pregnancy usually start with some sort of physical activity?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Technically, yes it does.
However, what your company is doing is covering their arses so they don't get sued by some couch potato who thinks "I'm pregnant, I'd better get fit for the birth" and does themselves and/or the baby an injury due to using muscles they haven't touched in 15 years.
They always say that if you're doing some kind of sport/exercise before pregnancy then it's safe to carry on with it while you're up the spout, but don't start anything new. Exceptions are things like horse riding, as you might fall off, weight lifting etc, playing football (you might get jabbed in the abdomemon) etc.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it involves physical activity. Sometimes they just do it to you in your sleep. But that's normal too right?