About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Money, money, money

If you had £20 million or equivalent, what would you do with it? Really and honestly? And I don't believe anyone who says, "It wouldn't change my life - I'd still go to work". Bollocks would you. I wouldn't. That's not to say I don't enjoy my job, but given a choice between dragging my arse out of bed every morning at 7 and, well, not... I think I know which I'd go for.

I wouldn't want to be entirely idle. I like to think I'd write. But let's be honest, I probably wouldn't. I'd probably keep Plogging. Travel? A bit maybe, but my five week trip a few years ago taught me that you can only be away from home so long before... well, you want to go home.

Flashy house? Well, I suppose I might move from the one-bedroom council flat in Bethnal Green... but I couldn't be doing with a massive mansion... maybe a two-bedroomed flat. Possibly even push the boat out and go for three. Wouldn't buy a house though. The cat would trip me up on the stairs.

Flash cars? No. Love the Mini. Don't need a new one.

Investments? What's the point? More money (or less) which - apparently I seem to be loath to spend.

I might go to the theatre a bit more... but not when it's cold outside. Besides which, if I went too often, it would seem less of a treat.

Luckily, I don't have £20 million, so this is unlikely to be a problem for me in the near future. However, if the pound keeps going the way it has done, it'll probably only buy me a Big Mac anyway. I still have a 20 Euro note left in my wallet from when we went to Rome in October; this turns out to be the best investment I've made all year.

£20 million or USD$35 million... what would you do?

5 comments:

MJenks said...

Oh, I'd still go to work. Honestly. I would hate being idle.

But, see, I wouldn't really work. I'd come here to goof off. More. And see just how far I could push the envelope before I got sent to HR.

I would get a better house, though. Probably four or five bedroom, but that's because three of them would be occupied at night. Four, probably, as I'd probably push the envelope at home, too.

And I'd get a dog.

Anonymous said...

I would carry on living in our flat, because we like it, but I would buy somewhere for Margaret Downstairs to live and take over her flat, and turn it into a garage so I don't have to scrape past/get scraped by neighbours' cars. I'd also have to install a grab crane/car lift construction to get the car from the street to the garage as you can't actually drive to it. This might mean bribing Edinburgh City Council planning regulators and hiring a pretty nifty firm of architects and lawyers. Hmmm. Can I have more than £20 million please?

Nice Kate x

Anonymous said...

Carry on working part-time, buy a flat on Bristol waterfront, shop weekly at Waitrose and go to lots of expensive evening classes, and then not care if I hated them and didn't turn up.

Anonymous said...

I would buy you a monkey...

Haven't you always wanted a monkey? ;-)

Laura said...

I suppose I could buy those fancy Dijon ketchups...

;o)