About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

City slicker

Hello world! I am writing this from Birmingham, which I am led to believe has recently got both electricity and Internet.

In theory I should know Birmingham quite well. I came here quite a lot a few years back, but it's one of those cities in which I've never really got my bearings. Actually, the same could be said for a lot of cities. London. Bristol. Leicester. Nottingham. Even Loughborough. Technically not a city, but the one-way system is still confusing. Honest.

Bizarrely though, my sense of direction was pretty good in Hong Kong, Syndey and Auckland. Perhaps I was born in the wrong hemisphere.

Last night, embarrassingly, I was unable to point out Tokyo on a world map. I also got South Africa mixed up with Mozambique. Apparently the clue was in the name. Still, Mrs Nunn thought Africa was a country until about three months ago, so I'm still winning.

Yes, winning that well-known game of "Do you know the world map very slightly better than your mother?" I need to get out more.

Am staying in a lovely hotel (for once!) and have been lucky enough to spend a super evening with friends who live here (not actually in the hotel. That would be weird). Now it's time to toddle off to my ridiculously-sized bed, and fail to take advantage of the DVD library, iPod speakers and digital radio system.

No comments: