About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Trans-sport

Ah, London, how fickle is our relationship. I love you. I need you. I don't want to be in any other city. And yet, we do have our rows. Rows which make me (though fleetingly) dream of other places. I admit it.

This weekend, London and I had a bit of a bust up. It started on Thursday, with the Central Line derailment. It didn't directly affect me, mostly because I was in Birmingham, but made transport on Friday that bit more difficult.

On Friday evening it took me 45 minutes on a bus from Chancery Lane to Waterloo. Later on Friday evening TheBloke (TM) and I waited 35 minutes for a number 8 bus. As we gave up and headed towards St Paul's tube station, a number 8 overtook us. I did very good running (not girly running, despite what TheBloke (TM) says) and caught up with it in time for it to fail to stop as it was full. So we walked back to St Paul's again.

On Saturday I was driving off to a wedding. Now I am always obsessively early for most things so although I didn't need to be in Berkshire until 2, I left my flat at about 1 p.m. But London conspired to throw things at me. Thank you London for arranging the following on the same day on your lovely roads:

- Wimbledon
- Big fuck off concert at Wembley
- Closure of all good roads in London for a load of poncey French cyclists
- Henley regatta (admittedly outside of London, but still annoying)
- Roadworks

Three hours it took me. OK, I did get a bit lost (I blame Jessica. She's just a few paychecks away from an upgrade: I think she knows this and is acting out.). But the traffic was rubbish. London, you have been warned.

The wedding, however, was lovely. I got to read one of my favourite sonnets (as part of the ceremony, not on my own in the toilets or anything) and a fantastic day was had by all. And for once it didn't even rain.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Left your flat about 1pm - I don't think so! Double full stops?? Standards?

Let me not ...keep complaining though!

RSN

Anonymous said...

Hey mate
You know I've never quite understood Laura time, but how on earth did you leave at 1 pm, it take you 3 hours to get there and you still be on time when you had to be there at 2 pm....?
H xx

Anonymous said...

H - cut Laura some slack, RSN has already ribbed her about this, possibly a typo - 11 am was probably start time and RSN was also teasing Laura about the full punctuation of the old days. Laura has been whizzing around the country like the proverbial blue-@@X! fly and we are lucky to get blog up-dates. Hope you are OK in NZ in winter. Love Mum of H x

Anonymous said...

Oops or even 10 am???

Mum of H

Laura said...

As this seems to concern everyone so much, yes, I did indeed leave at 11 a.m. I arrived in Burchetts Green at about 2 p.m. I got a bit lost. There was a slight incident with reversing up a bridle path (bridal path perhaps, concerning the occasion?).

To be honest it was all quite uneventful. I am tired though. Off out now, so toodlepip.

L x