About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Monday, June 02, 2008

Gang warfare

I am a faulty geek.

The fact that I'm a geek is not really up for debate. A nice person might describe me as an "early adopter" of technology. But essentially I'm a geek. My hobbies are geeky. I don't paint model aeroplanes or anything (mostly because I'd be shit at it) but I have my certain favourite TV shows that aren't always exactly mainstream.

"But a faulty geek?" I can hear you ask. "In what way are you faulty?"

That is a good question. Well, every other geek I've ever met is always extremely keen to share their (pathetically dull) passion with you. They will bore you about minutae of Star Trek or tell you the exact number of Orc extras in Lord of the Rings. I am the opposite. I don't like anyone else sharing my geekery. It is mine. All mine.

It's time to come clean. As some of you will know, a kids' TV show called Press Gang featured heavily in my childhood. The best show ever written - in my opinion (which is always right, obviously) and the writer - Steven Moffat - was only about 25 when the first series was commissioned.

Mr Moffat has gone on to do great things. The fabulous (but sadly mostly forgotten) Joking Apart, the not-quite-so-great (and probably best forgotten) Chalk, the well-received Coupling and the recent Jekyll. He's also written the best episodes of Dr Who.

And this is where my faultiness comes out, as far as geekery is concerned. Suddenly I'm seeing Facebook status updates, geeky fan forums all praising Steven Moffat to the skies for being the best writer ever. Which of course he is. Possibly with the exception of Shakespeare. And I don't want to share The Moff. He is my geeky secret. And we Press Gang fans feel niche and a teeny tiny community. I shouldn't have to share him with the Dr Who massive.

That is all.

Oh, and if you don't own Press Gang (and if you love Dr Who - or even if you don't - you should), then Tesco are doing the complete box set (usually about £70) for a rather amazing £18. I've even got the link for you. Don't say I never give you anything.

http://www.tesco.com/entertainment/product.aspx?R=660656&&in_merch=1&in_merch_title=Best_Sellers&in_merch_name=Press+Gang+-+The+Complete+Series+%5bBox+Set%5d

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

S'going to get worse, love. He's been given Doctor Who to run now, and it's going to be ACE.

Anonymous said...

But wasn't Ace a much earlier Dr Who sidekick?

Geeks rule!

RSN

Anonymous said...

I know...I know! Once upon a time it seemed only me who voled the man and his show, now it seems I see PG mentioned everywhere, and everyone calls him The Moff (copyright Lisa, at our geek up) and I almost want it back the way it was dammit! He's ours!

Anonymous said...

Most of the others haven't met him though. Well, maybe they paid to meet him at a convention or something, but we met him for free at a second rate fast food restaurant. That must have extra geek kudos.

C x