About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Spoilers

Mr Nunn is known as a spoiler of films. Bless his little guilty sad face when he's accidentally done it again, but it's a regular thing in the Nunn household. Sample conversation:

Jack: I've never seen American Beauty.

Mr Nunn: Yes you have. It's the one where the neighbour shoots Kevin Spacey in the head at the end.

Jack: No. I haven't.

Mr Nunn: Oh. (cue sad guilty face)

Whilst I was in Canada, the final episode of The Apprentice aired. I was careful not to look at any UK websites. I forbade TheBloke (TM) from texting me the winner. I made the mistake of telling Mr Nunn on the phone that I was trying not to find out who won. And then quickly added, "Don't spoil it for me!"

Mr Nunn said, "Don't worry, I won't. But you won't be happy with who won."

Thanks Dad. Never mind - as far as I knew, Mr Nunn didn't actually know who my favourite was, so so far, so good.

Cut to Loughborough. I get through the entire reunion without anyone bringing it up. I get home. I have breakfast the next day. In my jetlagged state, I mention that my plans for when I get back to London involve watching The Apprentice.

Mr Nunn chips in, "Did you hear.."

I cut him off, fingers in ears, "La la la la, not listening."

"OK, OK," says Mr Nunn, who doesn't even watch the show. "I was just going to say there was a lot of furore as the winner faked his or her CV."

"Thanks Dad. That was in last week's episode."

"Oh." Mr Nunn's face fell. Sad and guilty.

Still, there was still hope. Perhaps a second candidate had faked their CV too. I got into my car and with Radio 2 playing in the background, motored to London. Just in time to hear a trailer for Steve Wright's show, "... interviewing Lee McQeen, Apprentice winner and runner up Claire!"

Fuck it. I've always hated Steve Wright. Not as much as Jeremy Vine, who just appears to run a moan-in for pensioners and taxi drivers. But he's on the list. Beware the list.

And Mr Nunn was right - I was rooting for Claire. I instinctively don't trust anyone who talks about themselves in the third person.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Rosebud' is his sled.

RSN

Anonymous said...

Only very slightly related to this topic...

Did you see that double episode of Doctor Who in the library? It was Moffat. I thought it was amazing.

Admittedly there's not a lot of competition on a Saturday night.

Laura said...

Of course I saw the Moffat episode - a staggering emotional work of genius... and all before 8 p.m.

Just wish he was still my dirty little secret.

L x