About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Mistaken identity

Today is supposed to be 27 degrees. The first summer we've had all... summer. And I am waiting indoors for a possibly-non-existent Sky engineer. From the council. Or something. I don't really understand, but apparently I need a brand new box attaching to my wall in case the council forces me to get rid of my satellite dish. Typically the helpline number given by the council doesn't work. Fuckers.

Since the weather's so nice, I just want to be sitting on the grass finishing my trashy novel. Since Midnight's Children, I've found myself craving more and more junk in terms of fiction. Like my brain hasn't quite recovered from the intellectual trauma yet. I still haven't lowered myself to chick lit shit (why is it that I hate chick lit as a genre, but in terms of writing style, it's the only one I can seem to do?), but I've been indulging myself in some pretty rubbish crime fiction. I mean, I'm sure it's very good crime fiction. It certainly keeps me turning the pages. But it isn't - for me - "literature". It's like watching an action film - entertains you but doesn't give you much to think about beyond the next plot twist. It's easier for me to follow than thrillers at the cinema though; each of these usually ends with me saying, "Oh, were there two men with beards?"

Case in point: TheBloke (TM) and I went to see Step Brothers last night. Definitely recommended - very funny. However, I couldn't tell apart the two step brothers. To me, they looked exactly the same. I hope I am never called as a witness for a police line up. To be honest, I'm never completely sure that TheBloke (TM) is always the same person. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is encouraging. When I watched The Departed, I thought that Leonardo diCaprio and Matt Damon were the same person, and it was just going backwards and forwards in time. Apparently that wasn't the case.