About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Sunday, September 07, 2008

Sock it to 'em

I'm trying to be sensible with money at the moment. I figure I ought to do my bit to tighten my belt because of the credit crunch. Not that it's actually affecting me in any way at all. Yet. But, you know, a bit of sensibility never hurt anyone.

On Saturday, off to Lakeside I toddled. I needed socks. Even with a credit crunch you can be excused buying socks, can't you?

Actually, not really. There's nothing wrong with my old socks. About two years ago, I got fed up of all my black socks not actually matching, so I threw all of them away and bought a shitload of plain black socks from Next. Or so I thought. My genius plan was that having loads of identical socks, it wouldn't matter when they all got mixed up in the washing machine, and I could wear any two socks that popped up in my drawer. Good plan, poorly executed. After a few weeks of ignorant sock-wearing bliss, I noticed that actually the Next socks had a little tag designed to sit on the outside of the foot. This essentially marked a left and a right sock. Well, who would notice that? No-one. So it surely wouldn't matter if I wore two "left" socks. Would it? Would it?

That's when I began to get a little bit OCD about the whole thing. Over a period of a couple of months, I went from "preferring" to have a left and a right sock to "needing" to make sure the socks were a proper pair.

And this is where the madness must stop. So I decided to buy some Marks and Spencers' socks, which ostensibly do not have left and right foot markers.

Long story short. Credit crunch = Laura spending over £200 at Lakeside on lunch, shower gel, books, a Wii dance mat and an inflatable bed. And socks. Don't ask.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of that Genius episode "socks in threes" I think Dave Gorman had a similar solution to yours. HBR

Laura said...

I haven't seen this. But apparently Dave Gorman lives in Bethnal Green too, so perhaps it's an East End affliction.

L x

Anonymous said...

It was broadcast on the wireless without pictures but it is coming to a glowing box near you soon (a TV series has been commissioned).

Unknown said...

I didn't know that those black Next socks had a left and right
Now I am also OCD
Thanks a lot

Jenny Beattie said...

Oh we're share sock philosophy (and loathing of the other type of philosophy). Hello, I came here via Black Boxes - time travel... nearly.