About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Portrait of the artist as a madman

I'd been to Rome once before. I was sixteen and my parents took me on a coach trip to Italy. Because they hate me. Thirty hours on a coach with a whole load of old people, sadly none of whom snuffed it during the trip.

The journey was the most unpleasant form of travelling I've ever experienced, and that includes the 56 hour journey I had back from Fiji. We still have a signed document from Mum somewhere, signed at a service station in Belgium, swearing that she would never ever ever ever ever make us do a coach trip again.

Whilst I wasn't a massive fan of Florence when I was sixteen, I did love Rome. And I had an unusual experience with a portrait artist whilst I was there. See: http://laurasplog.blogspot.com/2007/10/when-in-rome.html

On the Saturday morning in Rome last weekend, TheBloke (TM) and I completed a guided tour of the Colloseum, wandered round a couple of fountains, and then headed for lunch. On the way there, I stopped dead. I couldn't believe it. It was my portrait artist! I recognised him immediately as when I last visited my parents, I went through some old photos and dug this one out as it made me giggle. Twelve years later, the mad old bastard had clearly given up on portraits and was now producing Tourist Shit Art (a valuable genre). I surreptitiously took his photo.

What are the chances, eh?

I almost asked him to do my portrait again, but wasn't sure I could take the rejection of having my face ripped up twice in one city.

Here he is. Doesn't he look loopy?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's a photo for your desktop:

http://www.radiotimes.com/shows/lark-rise-to-candleford/gallery/gallery-one/001/photo_lrg.jpg

Anonymous said...

Actually he looks a bit like your dad in a cunning disguise. Are you sure it wasn't a massive set up?

Nice Kate

Laura said...

Hmm, now you mention it...

L x