About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Taxing

I get quite a few cabs for work. This is not me boasting. Far from it. This means that my job (which often involves training people) means I have to lug large containers full of stuff from office to office. And when there's too much stuff to reasonably carry on rush-hour public transport, I tend to jump in a cab.

This is fine.

Except every black cab driver in the world seems to have originated from the East End. Again this is fine, I have no issue with this. Bear with me. The part where it starts to niggle is how at 7 a.m. every single time, on picking me up from the East End the cab driver feels it necessary to inform me about my local history. These points always include:

- How the area has changed


- Ooh, isn't there a lot of immigrants these days?


- How that building over there used to be the fire station


- Did I know the Kray twins used to live there? (of course I fucking did. I've lived here for four years and had every sodding taxi driver in the world point it out to me)


- Have you ever had a beigel from that shop?


- That used to be a supermarket, you know (how exciting)


- Cockneys was a good lot. Not many of them left nowadays. They was a good lot. Rough but good. (Apart from the bastard who lives in the flat underneath me. He's just a noisy git. But I suppose there are always exceptions).

I have to pretend to be interested every single time. Good news is though, I now do a mean tour of Bethnal Green for visitors and know some really useless facts that I can bore anyone with if they outstay their welcome.

(My little brother is visiting this weekend. I am preparing the fact sheet with quiz questions as we speak.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you can be sued for mis-representation in this blog entry Laura. I have seen your brother recently and he certainly isn't little.
p.s. don't you dare turn a perfectly innocent comment into something crude! H x

Anonymous said...

it's all in your own dirty mind Hazel....you have finally internalised Laura!

wow now that does sound dodgy

but thanks for sticking up for me....

BJ

Anonymous said...

Quote LN ""- Have you ever had a beigel from that shop?""

Well have you?
Was it Brick Lane?
Jumpers for goal-posts?
- is that a hyphen?
I like your authentic East-end spelling of bagel!

Laura said...

No, I haven't. Keep meaning to though. We have endless (dull) discussions at work about the bagel/beigel spelling and pronounciation.

L x