About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Letting things slide


Last night I went to the Tate Modern. People who know me will probably be a bit surprised by this. This is because I think most modern art (and a lot of art in general) is a pile of pretentious pants. The only thing I like about the Tate Modern really, is the view across London you get from the top floor. That's art. Despite the fact that I can wax lyrical about novels, plays, poetry - seeing all kinds of themes and references, visual art usually leaves me cold.


However, a friend had suggested we go... and so I went.


They have big slides there at the moment (see picture). The big slides are scary. Really scary. They go from the fifth floor of the old power station, right to the ground. I went on the slides. People who know me - again - will be shocked. My role in life is to be the person who holds other people's coats at Alton Towers. I am not a slidey person.


But I was a big brave girl, and I went on even the biggest slide. And it was actually quite good fun, except the really big slide was a bit rattley and I felt all my bones were shaken up by the end of it. You've got to be careful at my age.
Next on the list, bungee jumping.
Only joking. Parachuting's first.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am also the person who holds other people's coats at theme park. I once stood at the bottom of Nemesis holding everyone's stuff and they forgot all about me once they'd finished the ride and wandered off! That was a great day.

Would quite like a go on the slides at Tate Modern though, they look like fun. It's being upside down I can't cope with.

I don't like visual art much but I really liked all the political art at Tate modern. Art with a specified purpose is a little bit more appealing to someone as literal as me.

Laura said...

I quite like my role as coat-holder-in-chief. It makes me feel important.

Even if I did give that title to myself. And everyone else just calls me "Fuckface".

L x

Anonymous said...

iknew you'd like it, fuckface

BJ