About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Eschewing the fat

I feel a little bit cheated that I've had a whole hour stolen from my weekend. My weekend is 48 hours long, normally, but owing to the clocks going forward, this weekend it was only 47 hours. This is a whopping 2.1% of my weekend that I'm not going to get back (until October). Can I claim compensation? No. And when I suggested it to my manager that I ought to get a 2% overtime bonus this month, he said something about a P45. Interesting...

Still, the hour less in bed is so, so worth it to have light evenings, meaning I can eschew public transport and start walking to and from work. I am going to start eschewing more things, because I really, really like the word.

So, now I have to come up with a list of things to eschew. I would like help with this, so if you've got any good suggestions, please do post them as comments. So far I've got:

  • The Olympics. (SO eschewed. Planning on renting out my flat, cunningly close to the Olympic Village and sodding off round the world again)
  • Any national sporting event
  • Any local sporting event
  • Any televised sporting event (that should cover it)
  • Anything with Billie Piper in. She is eschewed. Let that be a lesson to you, Billie. What's that Billie? Why have I eschewed you? Because I want to, because I want to.
  • Anything with Drew Barrymore in. Unless I have a cheese grater handy for her pudgy face.
  • Global warming. SO 2006. It is eschewed.

Anything else we need to eschew?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with Billie? She's lush.

Did you know Sue Perkins is on tour?

Anonymous said...

Be careful about the promotion of eschewing. If everyone eschewed the Olympics there'd be no flat renting at all.

And you can't be serious about eschewing Wimbledon?

It is a good word though. Mainly because it reminds me of those sweets 'chewits'. Do they still make those? I liked the cola ones. Mmm...

Laura said...

Billie is annoying and wears too much lip gloss. Too many men fancy her and she looks like a chipmunk. This is worrying as if a) all men fancy Billie Piper and b) she looks like a chipmunk, this has troubling repercussions for the evolution of the human race.

I once had tickets for Mel and Sue's live show. Erica didn't want to come with me as she had a really nasty cough and worried that when she started laughing, she wouldn't be able to stop coughing.

Really, she needn't have worried.

L x

PS Oooh, aren't I a bitch today?

Anonymous said...

I AM SURE THERE WAS NEVER A COLA CHEWIT!

Sara said...

Can we please eschewing men with deep-rooted issues and baggage - I want a nice guy with none of that crap... life would be so much easier :)

Oh yeah, and the US government came up with the fabulous idea of turning the clocks back earlier this year, so we did it weeks ago... creating a mini Y2K in the process, since all computers and such were pre-programed, wonderful!!!

Am I allowed to vent on your plog?

Anonymous said...

Glad you are eschewing Global Warming -what a con!! I trust that When You Are In Charge everyone will be required to watch the excellent Channel 4 documentary 'The Great Global Warming Swindle'? It will help everyone stop feeling guilty about one issue at least!