About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Walking nine to five



My iPod Nano was fully charged, my smart shoes were in my work bag, my satchel was thrown over my shoulders in a nifty-yet-practical fashion... Today saw the first Walking to Work of the year.





When I first moved to London, I lived in Dalston. To this day, I'm not exactly sure why Dalston was chosen. I didn't really know London that well, knew I'd be working in the City, guessed Dalston might not be that far away, and saw a flat with a parking space that would be suitable. I think I only actually saw the one flat. Which may go someway to explain how I ended up paying nearly £1000 per month for a one-bedroomed flat in Hackney. You learn from experience.





However, come spring, I realised that a massive perk of living in Dalston was that work was actually walkable, and that starting the day with some cheesy music and a bit of exercise was so much nicer than being crammed against a sweaty bloke's armpit (although that too is not without its charms). So when I looked to move at the end of the rental period, finding an area that was walkable to work was a major consideration.





I have Erica to thank for suggesting Bethnal Green - not only walkable to Liverpool Street, but with a tube stop literally seconds from where we used to live, and the best comedy club in London.





Of course, then I took a role over at Chancery Lane, meaning that walking was no longer practical. But now I'm based near Liverpool Street again, and this morning it took me about half an hour to walk to the office. Yes, I missed the sweaty man's armpit, and London's random assortment of "colourful" characters, but it was a nice start to the day.





When I started this anecdote, I think I had a clever and funny ending prepared, but I think I've forgotten it along the way. Sorry.

Anyway, I got a cab home. Shut up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you're next near Russell Square, pop into the Gala Casiono and ask for Kelda Holmes' brother John. He's a manager there, according to Popbitch.

Laura said...

I heard that too! Though I thought it was in Leicester Square, not Russell Square.

Not that I've been checking. Obviously, I have no interest in such a thing.

L x