About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Houston, we have a problem

So I work in a basement. Lucky old me. No natural light, which is bad (though at least I can honestly say I don't suffer from glare from the windows), but the worst thing is that we sit near the kitchens for the canteen. They listen to music all day.

This would be fine - maybe slightly irritating - if they listened to Radio 1 or Capital FM all day. But no. Instead, they have a 1992 soundtrack CD of The Bodyguard and listen to Whitney Houston. On repeat. All day. Loudly. Did you know you can listen to the same CD 17 times in one working day? I do.

I used to quite like Whitney Houston. Now I hope her work is made illegal, and fairly quickly.

So, driving back to London this afternoon, I listed to Elaine Paige on Radio 2 do her Broadway and musicals show. She's a bit annoying, but she usually plays some good tracks. Today, she played a bit of Les Mis (nice), something from Oliver! (great), and a few bits and pieces from Joseph (fine). But she ruined my drive by saying, "This next film was released in the early nineties... and I can't imagine anyone doing it quite like Kevin and Whitney."

A full five minutes of fucking Whitney followed. And that, your honour, is the reason I abandoned my car on the North Circular.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I also work in a basement... no natural light. That's what I get for being in archive, records management.

We do have one of those framed fake picture windows of an oceanview!
It really pisses me off when a person visits from a department above and dares to comment on how wonderful our fake window is!!! It's so patronizing!!!!