About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Arsing around

This evening I went with a friend to see a TV show being taped at White City. It's a pilot for a show presented by Jimmy Carr (who else?) for the BBC.

I've seen a fair few things taped in my time... and having recently read Jimmy Carr's (very good) book on the art and the science of comedy, I thought it'd be interesting to see how he works a live crowd. And I was impressed. I liked him a lot. He's an unusual looking chap - somewhere between very good looking and extremely ugly. I couldn't work out if I quite fancied him, or wanted to point and jeer at him. Luckily with me (perhaps less so for him), these things are rarely mutually exclusive.

Unfortunately the most memorable part of the evening was the bloke sitting in front of us. The chairs were those plastic ones that you get at secondary schools, that have the little window at the back, the rectangular hole that makes it easy to pick them up. The - shall we say "larger than life" - bloke in the seat in front of me had a hairy builder's bum that, somewhat unfortunately, poked through the back of the seat.

Once my friend had pointed it out to me, I was sadly unable to draw my gaze away from it for the rest of the evening.

Seriously though - although the show had the excellent Rob Rouse warming up the crowd, he literally did five minutes off the top, and then Jimmy kept the crowd going himself in between takes. Natural, effortless and really rather good at what he does. One of those people you'd like to hate, but actually, he's pretty good.

However, if you ask me my first memory of seeing Jimmy Carr live, I suppose it would have to be, "what a great big fat, hairy arse".

No offence meant.

No comments: